Stanford University scholarships for international students are limited to need-based aid. The financial aid offered by Stanford University are in the form of Stanford University scholarships, grants, or work-study.
The university offers different types of financial aid, including scholarships, which Indian students can apply to for pursuing a course at the institution. As it promises an affordable education to all, irrespective of one’s economic conditions, 86% of those who graduated recently had no student debt. The need-based financial aid allows parents to pay no tuition fee if their earning is less than $150,000 per annum. No room and board or tuition charges are levied on those whose parents have earnings at or below $75,000. Even those whose family income is high are eligible for aid provided their individual circumstances are considered acceptable.
Stanford University Scholarships for Indian Students
Listed in the table below are some of the popular scholarships offered by Stanford University for Indian students as well as other international students. If you are planning to apply to Stanford University and are also looking for Stanford University scholarships for international students at the university, then go through this page and understand what each scholarship is offering you.
Stanford Reliance Dhirubhai Fellowship
Offered by Reliance Industries, the scholarship covers the tuition costs of studying an MBA for 3 select students at the university.
Knight Hennessy Scholars Programme
Selecting 100 high-achieving students displaying leadership and civic commitment to receive full funding to pursue any graduate education at the university.
Aga Khan Foundation International Scholarship Programme
Designed for students from select developing nations, the scholarship allows students to finance their education to become effective leaders and scholars.
Note: The scholarships listed above are just a few of the scholarships and financial aid available to international students, including Indian students, at Stanford University for the current academic year.
Recommended: Apply for Up Scholarship Here
However, if you find yourself ineligible for any of these Stanford University scholarships, you can take up other forms of financial aid or even look for employment opportunities while studying to reduce your financial commitment.
Stanford University Scholarship Eligibility
If you are planning to apply for any of these scholarships, it is important to first ensure you qualify for the eligibility criteria for the Stanford University scholarships. Each scholarship will dictate different application requirements, therefore, go through the requirements as listed below or connect with our team of study abroad counsellors to find the best scholarships available for you.
Stanford Reliance Dhirubhai Scholarship Eligibility
Candidates interested in applying for one of the top Stanford University scholarships must first meet the eligibility criteria for the Stanford Reliance Dhirubhai Scholarship, which have been detailed below.
- Indian citizens eligible for a Stanford MBA programme will be able to apply for the scholarship.
- They must submit their IELTS/TOEFL scores as well as their GMAT/GRE scores.Candidates will also have to submit documents such as
- Academic Transcripts
- A 250-word essay
Letters of Recommendation
- An updated Resume with all the latest professional credentials and qualifications.
- A list of awards, certificates and honours, if received previously.
- Financial documents.
Note: It should be noted that once the MBA programme has been completed, the award recipient will be required to travel back to India and take up a relevant role in either the private or public sector, for a minimum period of 2 years.
Knight Hennessy Scholars Programme Eligibility
The Knight Hennessy Scholars programme at Stanford University has been designed to build a multi-disciplinary community of Stanford graduates capable of finding creative solutions to the world’s greatest challenges. To become part of the programme, candidates must satisfy the Knight Hennessy Scholars Programme eligibility criteria, as outlined below.
- Candidates can be from any nationality/country
Candidates need to possess a valid bachelor’s degree at the time of applying for the Knight Hennessy Scholars programme
- They can apply for the programme either when they are in the final year of their programme; or
- Within 5 years of receiving their first bachelor’s degree.
- Candidates should have applied for a full-time graduate, joint degree or dual degree programme at Stanford University.
Note: Candidates will be selected for the Knight Hennessy programme based on their display of independence of thought, purposeful leadership and civic mindset.
Aga Khan Foundation International Scholarship Programme Eligibility
Being an external scholarship programme accepted by Stanford University, interested candidates must ensure they meet the eligibility criteria for the Aga Khan Foundation International Scholarship programme, as listed below.
Candidates from the following countries – India, Bangladesh, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Syria, Kyrgyzstan, Tanzania, Tajikistan, Egypt, Uganda, Kenya, Mozambique and Madagascar are eligible for the scholarship.
- Candidates residing in France, USA, Canada, UK, and Portugal but are originally from one of the above-mentioned developing countries, are also eligible.
- Candidates will have to visit the local Aga Khan Foundation, Aga Khan Education Services or the Aga Khan Education Board where they can process applications and conduct interviews.
- There is no age limit for the scholarship, however, preference will be given to students under the age of 30 at the time of application.
Note: Half of the scholarship offered by the Aga Khan Foundation is considered a loan with a 5% annual service charge and a payback period of 5 years starting 6 months after the study period funded by the AKF scholarship. Further, the AKF scholarship only covers tuition fees and living expenses. Candidates will be required to handle the cost of travel themselves.
Stanford University Scholarships Application Process
If you qualify for any of these scholarships, then it is important to complete the application process in order to be considered for the same. Outlined below are the unique application processes for the popular Stanford University scholarships for Indian students that you can apply to for the academic year.
Stanford Reliance Dhirubhai Scholarship Application Process
Those interested in being selected for the scholarship will be required to complete the application process for Stanford Reliance Dhirubhai Scholarship.
- Candidates are advised to connect with the Financial Aid Office at Stanford University and confirm the availability, eligibility and application process for the scholarship and follow the instructions as directed.
- Gather the necessary documents as specified above along with any other documents that the university has requested you to provide. Structure and format your 250-word essay on the given topic/s.
- Submit the application before the specified deadline in order to be considered for the scholarship.
Note: Only 3 extremely excellent and outstanding students are selected each year for the scholarship. Therefore, be confident and ready with all the proofs to demonstrate why you should be receiving the scholarship.
Recommended: Apply for NSP Scholarship Here
Knight Hennessy Scholars Programme Application Process
To become part of the programme, candidates should complete the application process for the Knight Hennessy Programme, as detailed below:
Candidates must submit the Knight Hennessy Scholars application form via the online website with the necessary documents as listed here:
- Academic Transcripts and Test Scores
- Letters of Recommendation
- A short essay of 550 words answering the questions listed on the website.
- The application will then be reviewed and evaluated by the appropriate panel, wherein, you may be asked to provide additional information including a Video Statement as well.
Note: The application deadline for the Knight Hennessy Scholars programme is usually scheduled in the month of October every year. However, be sure to check the programme deadlines before submitting your application form.
Aga Khan Foundation International Scholarship Programme Application Process
Being an external scholarship programme, candidates will be required to submit their application to the Aga Khan Foundation, as outlined below.
- Students can obtain the AKF application forms from one of the AKF offices, including the Aga Khan Education Services or Boards.
- Candidates must then complete the application form and submit the form from where they obtained the application form.
- Be sure not to send the application forms to Geneva.
Note: The application deadlines for the Aga Khan Foundation International Scholarship programme will vary from country to country, but are usually scheduled in the month of March, commonly ending by 31 March each year.
The Stanford University scholarships that have been mentioned above are just a few of the many scholarships and financial aid opportunities available to international students, including Indian students. It should be noted that Stanford also offers scholarships to students who are able to prove their academic prowess and are able to maintain their high academic report. Apart from these scholarships, each department may also offer a range of scholarship opportunities to students based on different parameters and qualities displayed by the student.
Additionally, Stanford retains the authority to change the requirements and guidelines pertaining to the scholarships on offer. Therefore, it is recommended to check the official website or consult with the admissions office or International Student Support office at Stanford, for any updates.
Stanford University Scholarship FAQs
QUS: How do I get a full scholarship at Stanford University?
ANS: If you are interested in getting a full scholarship at Stanford University then you must look out for the Knight Hennessy Scholars programme, which aims to help high-achieving students study any one of the graduate programmes at Stanford University practically for free. Stanford University aims to build a multidisciplinary community of Stanford graduates who can creatively solve the greatest challenges of the world.
QUS: Can I study at Stanford University for free?
Yes, candidates can study at Stanford University for free provided they are able to apply for the appropriate financial aid or scholarships at the university. Even if you do not get a full scholarship, you can still take up employment within the university or outside and earn enough to nullify the costs of studying at one of the top Ivy League universities in the country.
QUS: Does Stanford University offer scholarships to Indian students?
ANS: Yes, Stanford University offers a number of scholarships to Indian students as well as other international students in order to allow high-achieving students to get access to high-quality education. Moreover, students can also finance their undergraduate or graduate studies by applying to different external scholarships offered by private organisations or even the federal government.
QUS: What GPA do I need to get admitted into Stanford?
ANS: One must get a GPA of 3.7 to get into Stanford University.